Friday, December 02, 2005

And the physio's verdict is.......

....as well as very very tight calves (no surprises there), I'm inflexible around L3 in spine, and there is some nerve involvement on R side which impacts on R glute and hamstring.

And the treatment includes:
*Calf stretches - bent knee and straight knee versions - 1-2mins at a time
*Half push ups (or for those who do yoga - cobra pose) - focusing on the mid lumbar spine - sets of 10 to a total of 100 per day
*Standing backbends - same as above
*Deep piriformis massage with tennis ball - 5mins on most tender spots
*Neural slides - alternate lift/lower head and pull/release foot x 60secs

I have another appointment in a week's time and I promised faithfully, hand on heart, that I would do these exercises at least 3 times a day. Now to figure out when to fit them in with the rest of my life! However, I start marathon training very soon (ie next week) so I need to get this problem sorted out now.

Oh, and I don't have to stop running - I do like this physio!

No comments: