Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Guess what? I am officially fit and healthy!

I had my health appraisal at work today. This is the 3rd appraisal I have had since working in this department – the first was back in 1998, the second in 2002 and now this one. And it’s all basically good news, except for the iron levels (again). It was interesting comparing my results with the other 2 appraisals and to see that I have greatly improved in some areas (ie flexibility and ab strength), have certainly not gone backwards in other areas, and some areas just need a bit of tweaking.

Body Fat % - 17.1%
Lung function – excellent (can’t recall exact figures)
Blood Pressure – 110/78
Eyesight – excellent
Flexibility – I have improved!! (must be the yoga)
Abdominal strength – I have improved – up to level 5.
Cholesterol – my HDL:LDL ratio has improved
Iron – still on the low side and should be checked out again. This is an ongoing challenge (its not a new problem) and also explains the lingering tiredness and slow recovery I have been experiencing.

So I must be doing something right!

This morning’s run
Distance – 12km
Time – 66.27min
Av pace – 5.32min/km
AHR – 139; MHR – 161

I was going to run after work yesterday but was still feeling tired from Saturday’s run so I decide to miss my gym session this morning and run instead. It was slow to start with but I did improve the longer I ran but though certainly wasn’t running at earth shattering pace!

Tomorrow
am –
hilly run
pm - yoga

5 comments:

2P said...

Phew - what a relief I was getting concerned following your blog that you might actually be unhealthy and unfit - I mean it's not like you do much....

;-)

Ewen said...

What about 'Mental function'? You are attempting something that "could be harder than training for an ironman".

Tesso said...

Good stuff CJ! Was that through Health Futures?

How do you plan to attack the iron levels problem?

CJ said...

Hehehehe...it would be a shock if my results indicated that I was unfit!

Thank goodness they don't test mental function - now that would be scarey!

As for the low iron levels - this has been going on for a while now. I've been on tablets, I've changed my diet, I've had umpteen blood tests...I'm a bit peeved that my levels weren't higher given the huge change in diet (for me) - going from vegetarian to including meat in my diet. Back to the drawing board.....Chocolate maybe?!

And yes, the appraisal was through Health Futures.

Hilda said...

wow!! CJ 17% body fat, I thought that was impossible, but not for you of course!