Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Oh my golly gosh

Tuesday Total: 17.5k
Week total: 26.5k
Month total: 91.5k
Year total: 1,382.5k

Time: 1hr 41.17min
Av pace: 5.45min/km
Av Temp: 4.9*c (9.21am)
Rel. Humidity Av: 94.6%
Wind Spd Avg: 4.9kph (SE)

I showed up this foggy, grey and chilly morning for the Tuesday group run, which meets weekly at Black Mountain Peninsular on, you guessed it, Tuesday mornings! Two Fruits suggested it yesterday and since I didn't have anything else planned, thought why not. I needed a kick up the pants and this would be just that, plus I would have company...that always helps.

So I donned my leggings, short pants, short sleeved running top, arm warmers, long sleeved running top, trackky pants, big woolly warm jacket (and no, I wasn't planning on running in all of this - the trackky pants and jacket would be coming off, reluctantly). It was good to see some friendly faces, even if I couldn't put names to all of them. Then off came the trackky pants and jacket but on went the headband and cap to keep my head and ears warm, and we were off. I should add that I was feeling a little off-colour thanks to some fresh mozzarella I had yesterday which wasn't that fresh - the tummy was decidedly dodgy plus I had that thumping headache you seem to get with things like that.

We headed off towards the cork plantation and then, omg surely not, we're not heading that way? Up Gunbarrel hill, that's where. The conversation I was having with JK and Two Fruits at this point ceased - there was no way I could run, breathe AND talk at the same time heading up the hill. Yes, I did manage to get up the hill...slowly, but then there was another hill, and then another one, and some of these did defeat me. There was a little bit of walking happening but not a lot.

By the time Two Fruits and I reached the Aquarium (we had run about 13km at this stage) I was definitely feeling the lack of training, the weeks of gallivanting around overseas, and the extra kilos. Fortunately having great company helped get me back to the start...that, and the thought of the thermos of coffee I had in the car.

It was good to finish, have a well-earned coffee (god it tasted good) and catch up with a few people I hadn't seen for a while, Barb being one of them.

Later today I still didn't feel that great (dodgy mozzarella to blame) so I lay on the couch and watched Under the Tuscan Sun - it was fun to pick out the places we'd seen while on holiday (Cortona, Positano).

So I definitely got that kick up the pants, so to speak, running-wise, but it was what I needed. Brindabella Classic training has officially commenced!

***********************************
Civitavecchia - Home of the Black Knight
Views from our hotel balcony

Meeting with the famed Black Knight and his Lady Daniela

Amazing and beautiful Estruscan artifacts

Remains of Roman Baths

7 comments:

*jeanne* said...

I *love* your favorite quote,

"When the world says 'give up', Hope whispers, 'try it one more time'"
- anononymous

and I am going to borrow it for my blog today. I need it.

I'm so envious, yet happy, to read of your visit to the Black Knight! It truly IS a samll world, after all...

:-)

*jeanne* said...

um...I meant to say,

SMALL world, after all.

(When will I EVER learn: proofread before publishing?)

Black Knight said...

Perhaps I know those places.......

TD said...

Oh, CJ, I don't think the mozzarella is to blame. As you said, you got too much of 'Italy' while you were away and that will take time to work through the system. :) C2S is out of the question then?

strewth said...

Wow CJ you are well and truly back into it - I need some of your mojo and time would be a good thing too!! Fantastic run - well done!

Ewen said...

How dare the Black Knight live in such a beautiful place!

Don't do too much running CJ. I want to race you before you become unbeatable again.

IHateToast said...

catching up on posts.

did you see the bk's cats? i love rexes.

and dodgy mozarella sounds like a band.