Thursday, July 26, 2007

More holiday photos



At Torre Argentina stray cats (which now number approximately 250) have found respite from the chaos and traffic amongst the oldest temples in Rome (400-300 BC). Volunteers from different countries, who created the shelter, work here seven days a week. The area of Torre Argentina was excavated in 1929 and this was also the year the history of the cats residency began. Stray and abandoned felines took refuge in the protected area below street level. From 1929 until 1993, the cats were more or less regularly fed by a succession of cat ladies or 'gattare'. These days there are volunteers who help with the feeding, spaying and administering medicines. They rely on donations.
*****************

Back to today! (well, yesterday...)

Wednesday Total: 9.6k
Week total: 17.1k
Month total: 54k
Year total: 1,345k

Time: 56.51min
Av pace: 5.53min/km
Av Temp: 4.6*c (9.30am)
Rel. Humidity Av: 90.1%
Wind Spd Avg: 3kph (W)
Started with: Straight Lines - Silverchair
Finished with: Voodoo Child - Rogue Traders

Since the last run, on Monday, I have been to the gym for a lower body weights session plus 20min cardio on the exercise bike. I have to confess that initially the plan was to do 30min on the bike but the steely resolve wavered after about 10mins...so 20mins was a good compromise. After all, I can only improve....right?! This afternoon I'm back to the gym for an upper body weights session plus 20min on the stepper.

There has been some post-gym DOMS but its been bearable. This is possibly because I didn't go gangbusters with the weights or the reps. Having done this in the past and then not being able to physically move the following day, I opted for lightish weights and low reps.

The run yesterday was a little longer (a kilometre) and a little easier, possibly because I was going a little slower! It was foggy and cold and I was the only one out enjoying the fresh Canberra morning. Though this could've been because most people were either at work or at school. I still feel very heavy on my feet and can be heard approaching a block away (probably attributed to the extra 3kg I'm currently carrying).

Yesterday afternoon I read an article in the latest Runners World magazine. No, not the 'A Chocky A Day?', or the 'Caffeine Hit' or even 'The Girl Who Started It All', though these were all interesting articles. It was the 'C'mon Get Happy' article - "Every run can bring you pleasure - if you train your brain to think that way". Obviously I have some work to do in this area so that I can tap into the physiological cocktail of endocannabinoids, epinephrine, serotonin and dopamine to "transform a workout into happy hour".

3 comments:

TA and the Gnome said...

Welcome home.Sorry it's been cold but the snow's been brilliant. I thought of you last Saturday when we stopped in Manuka for lunch on our way back from the snow.

I'm glad you had a great trip and obviously some wonderful experiences.
Are you planning the next one yet?

TA

Ewen said...

Untitled?

With those heavy feet I'll be able to hear you coming up to pass me on Sunday. Can't wait to compare kilos gained between you and Strewth ;)

Tesso said...

The last few months I've opted for lighter weights (more reps tho) for every gym visit. It certainly has reduced the DOMS from the session, almost to nil.